This is not an ADs ^^

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Proton Gen 2 ~ Exhaust Leak and Welding

Hi all, it's been a long time since I last update this blog. Maybe because I don't have anything to scratch here. Well, this is the story..

Drove my Gen2 this week and I noticed weird sound from the exhaust and my fuel consumption is high too. So I decided to crawl under the car and check. This is what i find out....

Rust inside the muffler 'eat' the steel and broke the welding

Crawling under the car is a pain in the a$$ as the space is so limited ^^ but I still manage to take the muffler out..

In this case, gas welding should be used to join the pipe and the muffler but because I don't have that, I just use electric welder.

Electric welding/arc welding ~ welding a thin piece of metal is hard. It took me hours... Using other metal as a 'sacrifice metal' and some welding flux (not in picture). After welding, compression test should be done to check for leak. In my case, I just use a compressor, close one side of the hole, spray soap on the welded area and put some compressed air into the other hole. If it is still got leak, then weld it back.

After hours of weld this is what I get. Leak test passed. It should for maybe some months.

Then, I put it back all together..Tested it and it is good as new..

~> Do it yourself if u have the courage..Experience is priceless ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...